Traveling is always a blast, but it can also be an expensive one. When traveling, the key is to keep costs down. I’ve been to plenty of places in my life, and I’ve found some fun things to do when traveling that are worth the money.
STEP 1: Make sure your credit cards and bank account are charged up before you go
The best thing about credit cards is that they let you charge things online. That means you don’t have to carry around a bunch of cash or worry about ATM fees. The downside is that you have to pay them off each month. That’s why I suggest charging up your credit cards before you leave home. The easiest way to do this is to make your online purchases first. You won’t be able to use your credit card on anything else until you make a minimum payment on your purchases. This will also help you avoid spending money on stuff you don’t need while you’re on vacation. Once you get home, you can take out a loan and pay off the balance with your paycheck.
STEP 2: Use Travel Apps
Travel apps can help you save money while you’re traveling. A lot of them are free, and some are even available for Android. Here are a few of my favorite ones:
1. TripIt – Organize your itinerary and get updates about flights and hotel reservations. You can even get alerts when your flight is delayed.
2. Fodor’s – Find the best hotels, restaurants, and other attractions in a destination. They also include maps and reviews.
3. Kayak – Compare airfare prices for all major airlines. You’ll also get the best price for hotels, car rentals, and tours.
4. Booking.com – The biggest travel site in the world. They have deals on everything from flights to hotel rooms to rental cars.
5. Google Flights – This app works like Kayak, but it only shows flights. If you’re looking for cheap flights, this is a good way to narrow down your options.
7. Secret Escapes – Find the best discounts on hotels, attractions, and activities. It’s free to sign up, and it has a paid option too.
8. Hotel Tonight – Find discounted hotel deals across the country. If you find a deal that looks too good to be true, it probably is.
9. AirfareWatchdog – This website has a ton of information on airlines and their pricing. If you see something that looks fishy, you can report it to them.
10. Priceline – This site works with hotels, flights, rental cars, and cruises. If you’re looking to save money on your trip, this is a great place to start.
STEP 3: Use Local Guides and Tours
I’ve always enjoyed visiting new places. It’s fun to explore the world, but it can also be expensive. By hiring local guides or taking tours, you’ll get the best experience possible.
STEP 4: Try Out Food Coupons and Group Deals
While I was in Paris, I found some great food deals that I would have never known about if I hadn’t been able to use my iPhone. The deals included group discounts at restaurants, discounts on drinks, and free food. I used Groupon for my Paris trip, but there are plenty of other sites available. Here are a few of my favorites:
1. LivingSocial – This site has daily deals for a ton of cities around the world.
2. Groupon – Find group deals in your city for things like restaurants, hotels, and activities.
3. Yelp – This site has reviews on just about anything, including places to eat, hotels, and activities.
4. DealSpaces – This site is only for food and drink, but it’s worth checking out.
5. Vayable – If you want to make money while you travel, this is a good way to do it. They offer different types of tours, and they charge a commission if you book a trip.
STEP 5: Try Free Activities
There are a lot of free things to do when you’re traveling. In addition to exploring new places, there are also a ton of things you can do around your home country. Here are a few ideas:
1. Visit Museums – There are museums in every city. Some are free, some cost money, and some charge both.
2. Try a Food Tour – Some cities have food tours where you get to sample the local cuisine. You’ll get to try dishes you wouldn’t normally eat at home.
3. Go Shopping – Shopping can be a lot of fun. If you’re in a big city, you can find some incredible deals on clothing, accessories, and souvenirs.
4. Take a Walk – If you’re traveling somewhere with a lot of history, it can be fun to explore old buildings and monuments.
5. See a Show – If you’re in an area that has a lot of entertainment, you can catch a show or movie.
6. Explore Your City – When you’re traveling, there’s no reason not to explore the city you’re in. Most cities have tons of things to do.
7. Find Free Activities Nearby – If you’re visiting a place with tons of free activities, you might want to check out what’s nearby. Some of my favorite things to do are hiking, walking, and bicycling.
8. Learn Something New – When you travel, you have to experience new things. By learning about the places you visit, you’ll expand your horizons and make for a more memorable trip.
9. Go to the Beach – While you’re traveling, don’t forget to take a beach vacation.
10. Relax – You’ll be surprised how much you can accomplish when you’re relaxing. You can read, watch movies, or just enjoy your time.
STEP 6: Take Advantage of Free WiFi
I travel a lot, and I always bring along my iPhone. It’s amazing how many free things you can do on it. Here are a few of my favorite apps:
1. Facebook – This is the best social network on the planet. If you don’t have a Facebook account, sign up for one.
2. Instagram – This app lets you take pictures and post them on your phone. There are even filters that let you make your photos look like they were taken on a professional camera.
3. Pinterest – Like Instagram, this is a photo sharing app. Instead of posting things on a blog, you can share photos with people.